Tuesday, April 26, 2016

V: A to Z Blogging Challenge

For my 2016 A to Z Challenge, I’m sharing three facts for each letter. The genres I write and love to read are mostly science fiction and high or epic fantasy. In fantasy, there is often magic associated with crystals or metals. They also used herbs both for medicine and for magical spells. Each day I will post a short description of an herb or a mineral you might find in medieval or fantasy writings. For the record, most of the herbal remedies I’ve investigated are not recommended by the FDA. Many are actually poisonous and dangerous. As tribute to my second love, I will post a scientific fact that may deal with physics, biology or health science. And because another name for a writer is wordsmith, each day I’ll share a strange word that I would probably never use in my writing, but that amuse me in some way. So enjoy my trio of quick facts. And don’t forget to visit the IWSG site where we’ll share a writer’s resource for every day of the challenge.

Vulgus: The common people. I don't think the common people gave themselves that name.

Venus Stone is another name for turquoise. Those who believe in the power of gemstones believe wearing turquoise will give you courage, love, luck and health. Can't beat that.

Volcanoes. I could read about volcanoes all day and watch those science shows about them. Super volcanoes are those that if they erupt could destroy the world like Mt. Vesuvius. Here in The States, of course, we have Yellowstone. If Yellowstone goes the best case the world could hope for would be a new ice age though it might wipe out most life as we know it.

Are you a member of the vulgus or do you call the rest of us that? Do you own any turquoise and has it made you lucky? Do volcanoes fascinate you?

"I have seen so many eruptions in the last 20 years that I don't care if I die tomorrow." 
Maurice Krafft (Volcanologist) on the day before he was killed on Unzen Volcano, Japan 1991
.

21 comments:

Mike said...

Neat word I have never heard of Vulgus before. Turquoise is nice.

nashvillecats2 said...

Vulgus don't sound very nice but a new word I have learned today.
Yvonne.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I have a feeling Vulgus is short for vulgar...

mshatch said...

I love turquoise and volcanoes are fascinating - as long as they're not spewing!

i b arora said...

the variety continues.

Maria Zannini said...

re: Maurice Krafft
Well he was ironically prophetic. He probably thought differently at the end though.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

"Vulgus" just sounds yucky.

I do like the word "Volcanologist" though. Imagine that title on a business card! :)

betty said...

Vulgus sounds like some weird medical condition :)

I do remember thinking when we lived in Montana if something happened at Yellowstone we would be "toast"

betty

Pat Hatt said...

Yeah, highly doubt they gave themselves the name lol I hope no volcano goes boom any time soon.

Anonymous said...

I love learning about volcanos too. There was a documentary on Netflix, I think, about what would happen if something happened with Yellowstone.

~Ninja Minion Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
Story Dam
Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

M.J. Fifield said...

Yeah, I definitely don't think the common people gave themselves that name.

I don't own any turquoise. If it's lucky, maybe I should acquire some.

Nicola said...

I am fascinated by Volcanos and love to repeatedly watch movies about them, even if they are ridiculously unrealistic :)

Jo said...

I am pretty sure vulgus comes from a Latin word for the common people. Yes I'm right, Vulgaris, a Latin adjective meaning common, or something that is derived from the masses of common people, may refer to: Vulgaris aerae, the Latin translation for the Common Era. Era Vulgaris, pseudo-Latin for Common Era (in Latin this means Common Mistress) - no turquoise I'm afraid. I do find volcanoes interesting and I did not know about the one at Yellowstone and what it could do to the world.

J E Oneil said...

Vulgus, origin for vulgar, I assume. It just doesn't sound like a nice word, even if it did just mean common. That's connotations for you. And I really hope those super volcanoes don't decide to go off anytime soon.

messymimi said...

Volcanoes are fascinating, and i am about as common as the vulgus can get!

Sarah Foster said...

I've never heard of vulgus before. Definitely doesn't sound all that nice...

cleemckenzie said...

I'll have to test that Venus Stone theory. I love turquoise, but I've never noticed an enhanced sense of courage, love or luck while wearing it.

Tyrean Martinson said...

I think volcanoes are fascinating, but ironically I lived within lava/mudslide distance of Mt. Rainier for many years and didn't realize that it was all that dangerous until we had a few "volcano" drills in high school. At that point, I wondered why we had drills. If Mt. Rainier erupted without any warning (unlikely given all the instruments tracking it in it's "dormant" but steamy state), the town I grew up in would be wiped out quickly since the whole town was built on a plateau made of mud and lava from the last eruption . . .
It's interesting to me that we can live near such potential dangers without even thinking about it.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Please excuse my grammar oops with "it's" that should be its. My fingers and my brain weren't connected.

Tasha Duncan-Drake said...

I have to admit, I'm not overly fascinated by volcanoes, except in the way they build islands. How dare you suggest that one is of the Vulgus ;) *snigger* Wonder what the history of that term is and who coined it.
Tasha
Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

Patricia Stoltey said...

Volcanoes do fascinate me, maybe because I'm in Northern Colorado, way too close to Yellowstone.